Thursday, February 14, 2008

Communication "Trends" of Today






The need for instant information has been a growing trend. This is made obvious by newspapers and magazines online for viewing at anytime with constant updates. As a person of the generation raised using the internet, I have never had to, nor wanted to use the phone book or map book. Instead, I just Google what I need or look on a website. Even research for school and projects is mainly done online; I don’t like going to a library and having to physically go find books or items to help me find information. Technology has increased our need for fast, accurate, and effective ways of getting information and communicating with our publics. With all the different ways of obtaining information and communicating, what could possibly come next? Is it possible to come up with new ideas to feed our need for instant information and communication?
Some might say that blogging is old news. I would have to disagree considering how many people have not jumped on the technology in the business world. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of people and companies utilizing the blogger’s community but, there is still a lot of people who have not caught on to this trend. Dan Greenfield’s blog addresses the use and popularity of social medias in Atlanta, GA., stating “But many of the largest companies have yet to significantly embrace social media and only a handful of social media start-ups have achieved significant success.” He speaks about how many companies have either not begun the use of or have not embraced the presence of podcasts, social networks, or blogs in the work place. Blogging will probably continue to grow and be used as a source of information and communication.
A fairly new trend I have stumbled upon is http://www.twitter.com/. Twitter is a micro-blogging community. Micro-blogging according to Wikipedia is “a form of blogging that allows users to write brief text updates and publish them, either to be viewed by anyone or by a restricted group which can be chosen by the user.” These messages can be submitted by text messaging, instant messaging, email, MP3 or the web. This social network allows you to constantly update your information for others to view and allows you to network with friends or other professionals in your industry. This medium is another way of staying connected like with Facebook and MySpace but, maybe even a little faster and more of a professional tool. Facebook and MySpace are popular social networks that originally started out as a way to keep in touch with friends. They have grown to include ways of advertising for clients using targeted audiences through people’s profiles. These social networks are another way of reaching publics and communicating.(They aren’t going away)
One new technology that is still developing is Search Engine Optimizations, SEO, for press releases. These search engines will be an even more efficient way of getting press releases out quicker and to more people. SEO’s aren’t used much now but according to Kami Huyse’s Blog, Social Media Trends Revisited: What's Hot and What's Not for 2008, “I predict that the format will continue to evolve this year, and companies will use it when they see a clear business use.” Give this trend some time and you might see it become a major source of information.
These are just a couple of new technological trends I found to be getting a little attention and recognition by PR professionals. On http://www.alexa.com/, the Web Information Company, the top United States Websites visited most were: 1. Google 2. Yahoo 3. MySpace 4. YouTube 5. Facebook and 13. Blogger.com. If you know of any new, cutting edge technology concerning communications and public relations, please let me know. I always feel a little behind the times, so any input or tips are welcomed and appreciated.
Check out these sites for trends of 2008:

3 comments:

LABene said...

I definitely know what you mean as far as technology trends emerging faster than we can keep up with them. Quite frankly, I felt so behind the times when I started blogging, and now I feel even more in the dark. Here we are, the "next generation in public relations," and we definitely have tons to learn.

Chile Califica Maule said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Cassie:

I agree with your perspective on the pace of technology trends. I took a non-technical job a few years back and upon getting back into technology I found I had been left in the dust.

I knew that in order to not become irrelevant that I had to jump in with both feet. I began blogging, microblogging and self publishing via Internet radio. My clients now all think of me as riding the cutting edge but I too share the feeling that I'm unaware of many Web 2.0+ technologies because of the volume of newly created applications.

I'm writing a book via a blog called Darwin's Analog Transgressions which is incorporating all of these technologies for a new fictional experience. I'd love to get your perspective on this approach to writing.

I found your blog while perusing play.blogger.com and was intrigued by the business week cover.